Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tune: "Bells Ringing in the Rain"

By Liu Yong
[North Song Dynasty]
Cicadas chill

And drearily shrill,

We stand face to face at an evening hour

Before the pavilion, after a sudden shower.

Can I care for drinking befor we part?

At the city gate

Where we're lingering late,

But the boat is waiting for me to depart.



Hand in hand, we gaze at each other's tearful eyes

And burst into sobs with words congealed on our lips.

I'll go my way

Far, far away

On miles and miles of misty waves where sail the ships,

Evening clouds hang low in boundless Southern skies.

Parting lovers would grieves as of old.

How could I stand this clear autumn day so cold!

Where shall I be found at day's early break

From wine awake?

Moored by a riverbank planted with willow trees

Beneath the waning moon and in the moring breeze.

I'll be gone for a year.

In vain would good times and fine scenes appear!

However gallant I am on my part,

To whom can I lay bare my heart?



No comments: